* I generally write using the pronouns he/him when referring to narcissists, but females are just as likely to be narcissists or exhibit narcissistic traits. So please don't think just because article uses the word him or he that it could not be a woman in that same role.
Narcissists are often seen as selfish, arrogant, and self-centered individuals who lack empathy and remorse.
Table of Contents
- Can A Narcissist Change?
- How To Get Rid Of A Narcissistic Partner: Ways To End It Once And For All
- How To Estrange Yourself From A Narcissist
- Continue Reading About Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Can A Narcissist Change?
They tend to see themselves as superior to others and believe they deserve special treatment.
While some people are born with narcissistic tendencies, others develop them through life experiences. Some experts say that narcissism is a learned behavior.
If you’re dealing with a narcissist, you might consider these strategies to cope with their behavior.
How To Get Rid Of A Narcissistic Partner: Ways To End It Once And For All
A relationship between two people will never be free from issues.
But when one person in the relationship lacks love, affection, and concern for their partner, it leads to an unhealthy relationship.
When you find yourself in this situation, there are many ways for you to get out of this toxic relationship, and you should try your best to leave this person behind.
Before leaving your partner, the first thing you need to do is take care of your own safety. Make sure to protect yourself physically, emotionally, and mentally.
Try to minimize contact with this person so that they don’t influence you. This way, you’ll avoid getting hurt again.
The second thing you need to do is plan how you intend to escape this relationship. There’s no point in waiting until things get worse; you need to act now.
You also need to know what will happen if you decide to break up with them. Don’t just walk away without thinking of anything else.
Do everything possible to ensure that you don’t regret your decision later.
If you’re serious about ending your relationship, here are 3 tips that you should keep in mind. One of them involves confronting your partner about their nasty behaviors.
Another recommendation suggests looking at the situation realistically. Lastly, remember that you’re not alone.
In fact, thousands of people like you are willing to help you save your relationship.
Suppose either party in your relationship is suffering from mental health problems. In that case, the odds of you staying together are very slim.
Whether you’re a man or a woman, sometimes we get stuck in relationships because we’re afraid of losing someone we love.
However, if you find yourself trapped in such a situation, it’s time to get out of there. On the other hand, if you really love each other, you shouldn’t let something like this hold you back.
Here are 4 signs you may be in a toxic relationship.
1. You Can’t Stand Each Other.
One of the biggest reasons couples stay together despite being unhappy is that they feel like they have no choice.
They think they don’t deserve better, so they stay put. While it sounds hard to admit, most of us keep putting up with bad behavior because we simply don’t realize how much we’ve been hurt.
We forget all the good times with our partners and only focus on the pain they caused.
2. Your Friendship Is On Life Support.
When you start feeling lonely, chances are you begin spending more time with selfish friends/partners than family members.
Sure, having close friends can boost your moods, but spending too much time with selfish ones can harm your physical health.
3. You Have No Hope For The Future.
If you can’t see a positive future with this person, it may be time to re-evaluate your relationship.
How To Estrange Yourself From A Narcissist
To estrange yourself is to leave a relationship where you feel like you’re living a nightmare. It means breaking free from the unhealthy patterns you’ve gotten used to.
After you go, you will never look back. You won’t be tempted by the past anymore, which helps prevent you from falling into another abusive relationship.
To stop contacting a narcissist, you must first understand how they work. Then, if you want to heal, seek professional help to learn how to deal with narcissistic abuse.
Some ways to protect yourself against narcissistic abuse are:
- Avoid getting involved with a narcissist again. Make sure that you stay away from those who possess dark traits.
- Find support groups for narcissists. These groups provide knowledge and understanding regarding their behavior.
- Look for therapists who specialize in treating narcissism. This will allow you to go through treatment with the right mindset.
There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be part of an exclusive couple, especially when you enjoy each other’s company.
However, suppose you notice that one person in a couple constantly makes negative comments about the other. In that case, it could mean that you are dealing with a narcissist.
In fact, these comments indicate that your partner has low self-esteem and is trying to make themself feel important.
There comes the point in every relationship when you need to decide whether or not to move forward.
This decision should not be taken lightly as it involves many things, including your feelings and the state of your relationship.
When you decide to end a relationship, you must take some precautions, such as a warning sign that you are dealing with someone dangerous.
A few of these warning signs include:
- Constant criticism
- Physical violence
- Mental abuse
- Controlling behaviors
- Threatening to commit suicide
- Flaunting money or power
- Refusing to discuss problems
- Denying responsibility
- Justifying bad behavior
To conclude, I would say to readers that we have seen that a narcissist is someone who lacks empathy.
They are usually arrogant and egotistical people who think of themselves as superior and good people.
Their inability to empathize creates many problems in their lives because they lack basic human decency. Although it may seem impossible to escape such a person, there are ways to deal with them and avoid becoming trapped.
Narcissism is common among people (both men and women). Even if you don’t believe this to be accurate, you’d better be aware of the symptoms before you become too close to someone and fall victim to their charms.
Do you believe that narcissists can change?
Continue Reading About Narcissistic Personality Disorder
How To Break The Cycle Of Abuse
If you need a crisis hotline or want to learn more about therapy, please see below:
- RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network) – 1-800-656-4673
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – 1-800-273-8255
- National Domestic Violence Hotline – 1-800-799-7233
- NAMI Helpline (National Alliance on Mental Illness) – 1-800-950-6264
For more information on mental health, please see:
- SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) SAMHSA Facebook, SAMHSA Twitter, SAMHSA LinkedIn, SAMHSA Youtube
- Mental Health America, MHA Twitter, MHA Facebook, MHA Instagram, MHA Pinterest, MHA Youtube
- WebMD, WebMD Facebook, WebMD Twitter, WebMD Instagram, WebMD Pinterest
- NIMH (National Institute of Mental Health), NIMH Instagram, NIMH Facebook, NIMH Twitter, NIMH YouTube
- APA (American Psychiatric Association), APA Twitter, APA Facebook, APA LinkedIN, APA Instagram